Last updated on January 2, 2021
How to Connect with Spirit Guides
How many times have you had a feeling about something but suppressed the feeling only to learn later you were right?
As you know, this is your intuition talking to you.
Your intuition is the “voice” of your spirit guides.
But I’m jumping the gun here.
Let’s take a step backwards to cover the basics.
What Are Spirit Guides?
Spirit guides are divine beings made up of love and light; spirit guides are energy.
They operate on a higher vibration than the physical world, and are invisible to the human eye.
Everyone has a spirit guide (or multiple guides) that will come and go throughout our lifetime, depending on the circumstances.
Related Reading: What is Spiritual Healing?
What Do Spirit Guides Do?
Spirit guides exist to guide you towards meaning and significance.
They want you to spiritually heal and fulfill the purpose that was established before you were born.
Keep in mind that spirit guides do not interfere with your life, no matter how challenging or hard things have become.
In fact, life’s challenges sometimes are the intention of your spirit guide. Overcoming hardships is what matures and develops us as humans, and a spirit guide may think you need to grow before it reveals to you your purpose.
For example, someone might say, If my spirit guide was looking after me, I wouldn’t have lost my job.
We can empathize with these feelings, but if the job obstructed a divine path the person is meant to go down, then losing the job was necessary for the spirit guide to fulfill its mission.
Related Reading: How to be a Conscious Investor
Interpreting Messages from Spirit Guides
Spirit guides are energy and do not communicate with us verbally.
In fact, they primarily communicate with us using our intuition. Intuition is when you know something without having any evidence.
For example, I was once in denial that I had romantic feelings towards someone. Since my denial was reaching a head in our friendship, the person suggested we stop seeing each other.
The moment he said this my entire body froze. And then jolted. Every muscle in my body was flexed and frozen at the same time.
Believe it or not, this physical reaction was a message from my spirit guides to explore romance with my friend, despite all the evidence to the contrary. I’m glad I received their message and took their advice because that person has become my life partner and I couldn’t be happier.
Other common spirit guide communication methods:
- Seeing consecutive numbers, or the same number over and over
- Observing patterns and synchronicity around you
- Hearing your name, but nobody is around
- Feeling the sudden urge to write, draw, run, etc.
- Seeing orbs or bright lights, glistening vibrant colors
The idea is to think using your chest, by listening to your heart.
Notice your feelings around certain people, or certain situations. Anxiety, sadness, headaches, chills, stomach in a knot, butterflies, nerves, warmth, thrill, etc. Every one of these physical reactions contains a message about that moment or person or setting.
Acknowledge the existence of spirit guides and listen to what they are telling you.
Related Reading: What is a Cultural Paradigm?
What Do Spirit Guides Do?
Connecting with spirit guides and embracing their knowledge will increase your quality of life because you’ll become an optimistic and positive person.
This is because of trust.
When we trust a higher power, we loosen up our need for control here on planet Earth. It has been reported that when religious people are dying, fighting in war, suffering hardship, etc., they experience a sense of peace by knowing that Jesus, God, Allah or Brahma is with them and life is going according to the plan.
Whatever you’re going through, internalizing your experience as part of a bigger plan will bring you peace. And when you’ve achieved inner peace, the planet suddenly becomes a beautiful and enchanting place.
Other reasons to invite and accept spirit guides into your life:
- Less anxiety when it comes to decision making
- The ability to operate on a higher vibration
- Sense of trust that you matter and are on the path towards your destiny
- Energy channels will be cleared to attract what we desire from life
- Accepting your spirit guides is the first step in your spiritual development
Now that we’ve covered the basics, let’s take the conversation one step further.
Related Reading: The Reason You Are Fat
Spirit Guides Help You Align With Your Soul
It is every human’s objective in life to connect with their soul and express its authentic desires.
Humans share a collective soul and within each of us is a fragment of the whole.
If your soul longs to paint, run, raise children, write, start companies, fight poverty, or teach — it is your duty to the collective soul to express that desire.
I actually believe it is immoral to neglect expressing your authentic desires in life. What your soul desires is what you are meant to offer the rest of the world as your gift.
Did you know that Hitler dreamt of becoming a painter?
Due to external pressures and self-doubt, he never became a painter and the rest of us suffered from his extreme disappointment.
American culture does not nurture the individual’s spiritual journey. We are taught to chase the American Dream, which is repeated over and over through cultural paradigms.
The end result is sad, busy, frustrated, stressed and confused humans. So can you deprogram yourself? Let’s look at an example:
Karen, 41 years old
- Is a proud liberal who proudly hates the old, white Christian Republicans
- She stays informed politically and believes in inclusion, such as open borders and replacing white CEOs with black CEOs
- Is a supporter of recognizing and acknowledging people by their preferred genders (trans, non-binary, agender, pangender, genderqueer, etc.)
- Believes the government should tax the wealthy at a higher rate to support the poor
- Teaches her kids the importance of labels — black, white, rich, gay, straight, female, etc. — and to always respect them
Lilly, 41 years old
- Stays clear of politics
- Thinks the government (both parties) is comprised of flawed humans, just like her, and should be as small as possible
- Maintains a logical, not emotional, worldview. For example, she thinks open borders brings about logistics issues, and that CEOs should be hired on merit
- Is black but doesn’t feel that is her identity
- Sees the gender movement as a wedge to keep society fighting
- Teaches her kids that who they truly are comes from within, not from labels
- Fiercely believes in the power of the individual to overcome hardships and create the life they desire
Karen lives in a “Us vs. Them” world.
Lilly lives in her own world.
To learn from your spirit guides, it’s important you align with your soul and operate within the confines of your own world. This may require you to exist outside the collective and resist societal pressure to act or think a certain way.
Related Reading: Tired of Adulting? You’re Doing it Wrong.
How to Talk to Your Spirit Guide
The first step to inviting spirit guides into your life is to be open to them. Maintain an open mind, open arms and most importantly, an open heart. Need more concrete steps? See below.
1. Release Expectations
Once I released the expectations I had of my spirit guides, the faster I felt their presence.
2. Continue On Your Spiritual Journey
Don’t be discouraged if you never make contact. Your spirit guides have their own divine timing and you must trust that their appearance, or lack of appearance, is part of the bigger plan for your soul.
3. Listen To Your Intuition
As previously mentioned, your intuition is voice for spirit guides. If there’s one thing you can do to form a stronger connection with them, it’s paying close attention to your gut.
Through meditation, call on your guides to make an appearance. Ask them if they have messages to share with you, if they can present themselves through a vibrant color or to place images or objects into your conscious.
Related Reading: Legalization of Weed: Pros and Cons
You have a team of spirit guides waiting to connect with you. They are entirely loving and light energies, who want to help and assist us throughout this journey.
The sooner each of us embraces our spiritual guides and the importance of aligning with our souls to express ourselves authentically, the sooner our shared human soul will heal.